I started practicing how to cook proper fried rice at like age 16, mostly because I wasn't a big fan of Jollof rice at the time and that's what most people preferred. We would be having lunch like on sunday and everyone would be eating Jollof rice and I would cook my own small portion of fried rice. Even now when I cook it, i try to use different spices to see what different seasoning does to it. Fried rice is very simple to make, i just throw everything in the pot and let it cook.
8 cups Rice
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 tablespoon curry
1 teaspoon salt
2 Know cubes
2 cups mixed vegetable (frozen)
1/2 pound small peeled shrimp
1/2 pound chicken gizzard
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Substitute seasonings include; Basil, oregano, onion powder (very little),
garlic powder. I add one of each not a combination of everything.
- Wash rice or parboil the rice and rinse it out
- Add curry, salt, know cubes, thyme, vegetable oil and some ground pepper, just enough so it doesn't change the color
- Add water, enough to cover the rice but not too much. Add shrimp and gizzard
- Let rice boil, but not to a point where it's sticking together. Ideally the grain should be separated.
- After the rice is soft, add the mixed vegetable and let simmer on low heat.
- Add more salt if necessary, more curry can also be added for color.
1/4 Caribbean hot sauce
2 tbsp Parsley, chopped
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Juice of 2 limes or 1/4 cup of lemon juice
2 tbsp white vinegar
- Combine all the rub ingredients mix them into a paste, making sure that all the ingredients are fully integrated. The paste should be approximately the consistency of a thick tomato sauce. If it is too thick, thin it out with a little more white vinegar.
- Rub the paste on the salmon making sure you cover all areas. I usually put my seasoned fish in foil and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees, I use a foil lined pan to bake it just for cleaning purposes. Spray pam cooking spray on the foil and place the salmon apart, spray the salmon and bake in the over for 25-30 mins. This is usually enough time to bake the fish so I wouldn't advice you stick a toothpick in it cos it could break the fish. Also anymore time than this and the fish could end up dry.
- Serve and garnish