Monday, April 29, 2013

Baked Chicken with potatoes and Kale.


“I was a Kale hater but now, I'm still not a lover"


My sister is a lover of potatoes hence the constant struggle to give up completely on McDonald fries. Boiled, fried, baked, she will eat it but I don’t know if she has eaten raw potatoes. That would be weird.

We have been trying to eat different types of potatoes just so we can get out of the everyday Russet potato taste hence the Yukon gold potatoes. Kale was a vegetable that I was just like umm I’m not so sure but hey I’ll try almost everything so I decided to figure out what the best way to cook it would be for me.

For this dish, you need;
·         2 chicken whole legs
·         1 pound Kale stem
·         1 pound medium sized Yukon gold potatoes
·         ¼ cup extra virgin oil
·         Salt to taste
·         Ground pepper
·         1 teaspoon paprika
·         1 cup chopped onion

The quantity for the ingredients should be at your own discretion because it depends on how many people you’re cooking for. This serves 4-6 people.

Instructions:
1.       Preheat oven to 450 degrees, chop onions, kale and cut potatoes into two or three depending on the size of the individual potatoes.  
2.      In a baking or roasting pan, toss kale, potatoes, onion, olive oil and the seasoning and spread out in the pan.
3.      For big chicken pieces, I usually cook them on the stove before boiling them because it saves me the time of having to pop them back into the over if they are not cooked all the way.
4.      Cook with salt, pepper, onion and paprika and brush with olive oil before setting it on top of the kale and potatoes; cover with a foil and bake for 20 minutes.
5.      Remove the foil and let it bake for another 25-30 minutes till the chicken is cooked completely and vegetables are tender.
6.      The juices from the chicken should keep the vegetable and potatoes moist and delicious.




1 comment: