Thursday, April 4, 2013

For Avocado Lovers with Love.

For the past month or so, I have been addicted to avocado, I want to eat it with everything, try it with new dishes, and use it as a substitute for other ingredients. I have compiled a list of my easiest favorite avocado recipess, doesn’t mean there are my favorite in the world, it’s just these are the things I have done with avocado and I was very happy with the taste afterwards.
The best way to cut avocado that I have found is by cutting it in half, take the seed out and slice it horizontally and vertically. After doing that, just squeeze it out of the skin or scoop it out with a spoon. This also makes it easier to mash it if needed.




Avocado Butter

This is the simplest one. All you need is 4 tablespoons of avocado and 4 teaspoons of butter. Mash both together until it is completely smooth. I ate mine with French toast that I made with French bread I got from my local grocery store. It just made it more delicious because the bread had a little depth to it than just what sliced bread can offer.  
Avocado Egg salad
If there is anything that goes well with avocado it is egg. I don’t know if it is the fatty acid in them that makes them so compatible or maybe just because they are absolutely delicious. Anyways for this you need; 2 hardboiled eggs, I medium sized avocado, I tablespoon mayo and a pinch of salt to taste.
·         Mash the avocado; it doesn’t necessarily need to be completely smooth
·         Cut the egg into small pieces, mash together with avocado, add salt and mayonnaise and stir.
Since I wanted mine to be a cold wrap, I put the boiled egg in the fridge for about 15 minutes after I cut it up. I didn’t take a picture of mine because if I remember I was too hungry on said day. However this is what it is supposed to look like, photo from pinterest.

Spinach avocado salad/wrap
Another avocado delight which I had for dinner yesterday was a salad wrap. I realized that instead of using so many different types of salad dressing, avocado is an easy substitute for me because I love it so much. I t provides the creaminess that some salad dressings have so I have used it occasionally.
For this you need spinach, grilled chicken, cheese (parmesan or cheddar) avocado and a little bit of Caesar salad for the spinach.
·         For the grilled chicken, I use just salt and black pepper to season it, pop it in the oven for about 25 mins at 375 degrees.  Too much seasoning of the chicken and the avocado won’t be able to shine since its taste can sometimes be subtle. Chop up the chicken into small pieces.
·         Take your large wrap and lay it flat on piece of foil. Add chicken, cheese, spinach, avocado and Caesar dressing, put it in the oven for about 5 minutes to get it warm and cheese melted. When you bring it out, push the ingredients to the center left side and wrap from the left to the right to get everything into the wrap.




Baked Avocado and Egg
This really could be served as an awesome breakfast dish or as a side dish for dinner.
  • preheat oven to 425
  • Slice avocado in half, take out seed
  • crack egg in avocado
  • Put whatever you want on top e.g. cheese, cream cheese, peppers, bacon bits, really anything you desire can go on top of the egg.
  • place in oven and cook till your eggs desire
I ate this as dinner with baked potatoes and grilled veggies that my sister made. It was delicious.






All these recipes are fairly easy to make, if you have some avocado favs as well, please don't hesitate to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment