Friday, April 12, 2013

Baked Scotch Egg


          "If you're going to put all your eggs in one basket, make sure it tastes just as good as scotch eggs."

Every now and then, I have these weird cravings that most times I end up fulfilling in a day or two. With scotch eggs, I couldn't bring myself to eat one big ball of fried sausage meat; I mean what kind of example would I be setting for my body? Very soon it'll start craving everything fried so I just ignored it until last weekend while grocery shopping, I couldn’t get the small package of sausage meat out of my head. I bought it and decided I'd find a way around frying it.

I knew sausage meat could be baked but I wasn’t sure if it would work for scotch egg. I googled it and lo and behold it had been done before so I guess there are some people out there thinking like me.

Anyways, you need the same ingredients as you would if frying the scotch egg so:

  • 7 Eggs: 6 hard boiled and one extra egg beaten for coating.
  • 1 pound Sausage meat. I've read that lean turkey might work too and it’s healthier. Don't know that it would taste the same. When I experiment I’d let you guys know.
·         2 cups breadcrumbs
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon salt
·         ½ tablespoon pepper if you like spicy

Directions:
  • Boil the 6 eggs for about 10 minutes to make sure they are completely cooked, peel and set aside in cold water. Pre heat your oven to 375F
  • Mix the meat thoroughly with the salt and thyme and divide it into 6 equal parts. It’s best to use a spacious clean surface because things can easily get messy.
  • To make things easier and smoother, put the sausage, breadcrumbs, beaten egg and flour in plates that are not completely flat and line them up
  • Start by wrapping the egg in the first portion of the sausage. What I found worked (after 2 failed attempts) was put the scoop on my hand, spread and flatten it out with a spoon. Put the boiled egg in the middle and use my two hands to mold the sausage around the egg. Make sure there is no part of the egg that is not thoroughly covered. While still in your hand, coat with flour and set aside.
  • Do that for all the eggs before you coat them with egg. Again after 2 failed attempts I realized getting into the egg was a process best left for last.
  • After all the eggs are coated in flour, dip them in the egg bowl and make sure it is well coated and then roll in in the bread crumb plate.
  • Do these for the remaining eggs and place them lined up on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes until it’s properly cooked and breadcrumbs are crispy.
I really always forget to take pictures as I go mostly cos my hands are usually occupied but I promise to do better.






Check out this amazing blog I recently started visiting and guest writing for.  http://www.romancemeetslife.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment